Friday, August 22, 2008

Mrs. Teacher

Last year when my youngest child started Kindergarten I signed up to be a substitute teacher. Today I subbed for the first time this school year and just 1/2 day at that. When my front office called me Monday to ask if I would be interested in this job they told me it was for the Moderate class...not just anyone would want to do it. There are 3 kids and 3 teachers. One of them has Down Syndrome, one with CP with other things and I am not sure about the other one. I was excited thinking I may like it but also nervous. I LOVED it. It was amazing. There is so much love and patience in there. During circle time we showed them three pictures of the three kids in there and their challenge was to point to the picture of themselves. When they did it you should have seen the three of us teachers clap and cheer. They have the coolest stuff in this classroom...a small trampoline! The one not so little 1st grader with Down Syndrome went to go jump. He can't jump he just bends his knees and bounces a little...he was laughing so hard yelling jump jump jump and we all clapped and joined in jump jump jump. It was just the most wonderful experience for me. On my way out of the school I had to check out through the office and told Wanda anytime they need a sub for that class I would LOVE to do it. I am still in awe of what happened as I am writing this...can ya tell?


It's almost September and September makes me think of apples...apple pie, apple upside down cake, caramel apples, apple crisp and my moms applesauce cake. The other night before Steve left the baking bug got to me so I made some yummy applesauce cake. It's easy!

1/2 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of applesauce
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup raisins

cream butter, sugar and applesauce. Add flour and spices and then raisins.
Bake in greased and floured loaf pan or three minis.
Bake 40 min. at 350 degrees.



(yes here is my recipe card from when I was a teenager. I tell my husband if there is a fire my recipe boxes are on the list of things to grab to save)







Maybe it's because my mom made mini loves...but I love them. When I make batter and do this it's easy to share a little loaf and still have some for my family.









I love to serve my little loaves sliced on my long skinny Japanese dishes. I LOVE blue and white. When I was younger and in the Air Force, stationed in Japan, my friends thought I was a crazy single girl buying so many dishes...but I had hopes to one day get my dream job of wife and mother and do all things I get to do.

7 comments:

Amber M. said...

Sound slike an amazing day. It would make me grateful for my healthy children, I think.

I always think of apples in September, too. I'm already brainstroming about what to do for vting in September with apples...

Our Complete Family said...

Aww, I am so glad you got the chance to work in that room today. When I wkd at the YC at Scott for 9+ yrs we had some kiddos that required extra 'lovin' and they really made my heart smile. Such love and kindness in them to share. Isn't it great how they made you smile today and feel so good?!? As for the baking...gosh darnit I wish I was your neighbor again! ;) Yummy stuff! Love ya, L

Our Complete Family said...

He, he, he! Glad I made you smile today! I would have left you a reply here but anyone that read your comments would wonder what I was talking about with laundry and all, so I replied to it under your comment on my comments from the Germany post!!! ;) Hey, Jas just heard from your old downstairs neighbor the other day. Have you guys heard from Jake? We lost touch with him. Will you send me his info so I can pass it to Jason? He was such a nice guy and always honked at Bryce when he drove to shift work when we were neighbors at Scott the 1st time here!

Every Day Gourmet said...

WOW~ That is so cool that you found another passion! I hope it works out that you get to help in the class often. You sound like you have the gifting of helping special needs children. Thanks for the recipe for applesauce cake. I am making it right now : ) We are in the midst of unpacking and I just got Anna's Pottery Barn Artline up. It is cute! Thanks for talking me into buying it last year. I have been saving it for our move.

the dahle family said...

Glad to hear you had a great experience in the Special Ed classroom. I absolutely love working with those kids because they are special in so many ways. They will be thrilled to have you sub in that class as it is often difficult to find subs willing to take those assignments.

Jenni said...

That applesauce cake recipe looks so yummy, I think I will have to bake tomorrow! I hope everything goes well while your husband is away! My sister's husband was in the Navy until a couple of years ago; it was really hard when he was gone for his six month stints! I will pray that it goes super fast for you! :)

So glad I found your blog! :)

Jenni said...

Hi, it's me again. I wanted to say thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment. :)

Also, freezer jam is so, so easy to make! I use the Certo pectin, the kind with the normal amount of sugar. A couple of months ago I made strawberry jam with the low sugar pectin recipe, and it was not as good! It always amazes me just how much sugar goes into the jam, but it's SO yummy. But the jam we had with less sugar was good, too. My family still liked it! :)